Yet with gyms shut, playgrounds closed and sports postponed, finding ways to keep fit, as well as keep the kids active, is more difficult than usual. So, we’ve put together some easy and fun exercises that the whole family can do together at home.
But first, here’s why it’s so important to stay physically active, not just for your physical health, but your mental health too.
Improve your cardiovascular fitness – regular exercise gets your heart pumping and strengthens the muscle. This allows more blood and oxygen to flow to other muscles around your body. It also helps to lower blood pressure, improve memory and brain function and better sleep.
Boosts your energy – aerobic exercise also delivers more blood and oxygen to your brain, which means you’ll have more energy to do everyday tasks. Plus, you’ll be able to concentrate better and think more clearly.
Enhances your mood – physical activity can also make you feel happier. When you exercise, your body produces more endorphins, which are known as feel-good chemicals. They can help you feel more relaxed, reduce anxiety and enhance self-esteem.
6 family-friendly exercises
On top of all the benefits for your body and your brain, fitness should be fun to do. Here are some simple exercises that the whole family can enjoy indoors or in the garden.
- Jumping jacks – getting your feet off the ground is an easy way to get your heart pumping and improve your aerobic fitness. Simply stretch your arms and legs out like a starfish and start jumping.
- Bear crawls – alternatively, getting on all fours and crawling on your hands and feet can be a great way to strengthen core muscles and enhance special awareness.
- Squats – bending those knees will help build endurance and strengthen lower body muscles. If your little ones need some help, place a stool behind them to guide how low they need to bend.
- Lunges – similar to squats, lunging forward, backward or side to side is an easy way to strengthen and stretch leg muscles.
- Skipping – with or without a skipping rope, skipping is a great all-round workout. It increases your heart rate and strengthens core muscles.
- Yoga – stretching your body has just as many benefits for your mind and body as exercising. Yoga can help to reduce stress, improve your breathing, increase range of motion and keep muscles flexible and strong.
A full-body workout in one machine
If you’re looking for a simple, yet fun way to give your whole body a workout, let us introduce you to the Orbitrex X17 home gym. This state-of-the-art fitness trainer is the first of its kind, with 17 different burn paths and movements of 5 different workouts combined into a single machine.
According to a leading university study, the Orbitrek X17 will burn 34% more calories than a stationary exercise bike. This is a result of its unique, ever-changing burn paths that work your body as if you were training on natural terrain. The range of various motions and movements activate more muscles and burn more calories in a shorter period of time, while keeping you motivated and breaking through exercise boredom.
The Orbitrek X17 is also compact and portable, so you can exercise anywhere in your home and store it away easily. It also has a whisper quiet drive train, so you won’t disturb your family as you work out.
Learn more about the Orbitrek X17 here.